Therapeutic Lifestyle Strategies for Healthy Aging
- Strategies for Health Aging Handout –Strategies for Healthy Aging Handout (Click on the links in this document to see my sources).
- My PPT slides with Notes in a PDF format (this is a large file and will take a minute to download) – Therapeutic Lifestyle Strategies for Healthy Aging
Excellent Online Videos about Health: Click on the blue letters to watch the video
- I showed this video in the Sunday afternoon class: Ted Talk with Dr. Mark Hyman, M.D.
- Watch Dr. Terry Wahls, MD, TED TALK on reversing MS (autoimmune disease) with Functional Medicine (lifestyle medicine)
- Dr. Mark Hyman, MD – Gluten: How it could be damaging your health
- Dr. Tom Obrien – Is gluten really that bad?
Documentaries on Health: These are all available on Netﬂix
- Diabetes Without Drugs: The 5-Step Program to Control Blood Sugar Naturally and Prevent Diabetes Complications by Suzy Cohen (Author)
- Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain–for Life by David Perlmutter, MD
- Health and Nutrition Secrets That Can Save Your Life, by Russell Blaylock, MD, board certified Neurologist
- The Blood Sugar Solution: The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Feeling Great Now! by Mark Hyman, MD (Author)
- Thyroid Healthy, Lose Weight, Look Beautiful and Live the Life You Imagine by Suzy Cohen RPh
Healthy Recipes Online
About Kim Martindale
- Kim Martindale is the Senior Therapeutic Lifestyle Educator at the Integrative Wellness and Research Center in Memphis, TN.
- Kim is certified in 1st Line Therapy
- Like Kim’s Facebook Page
- Visit Kim’s Blog
- To make an appointment with Kim Martindale for First Line Therapy, please contact her at email@example.com or call (901) 870-4625. You may also contact the clinic directly at (901) 763-7006.
All the supplements that Kim recommends can be purchased through the Integrative Wellness and Research Clinic. These products are physician grade which means they don’t contain any harmful additives, synthetic ingredients, chemicals or gluten. They have to pass very stringent safety and quality standards and are clinically tested for effectiveness.
To purchase items from the Integrative Wellness store visit http://integrativewellnessstore.com/collections/all.
First Line Therapy Program Overview
One in 3 Americans have metabolic syndrome—a cluster of conditions that can lead to type 2 diabetes and heart disease, which can be preventable or reversible through a clinically proven lifestyle medicine program. If you have 3 of the 5 following markers, you are at risk: 1) elevated waist circumference, 2) elevated triglycerides, 3) reduced HDL “good” cholesterol, 4) elevated blood pressure, and 5) elevated fasting glucose.
Change Your Health with the FirstLine Therapy Metabolic Syndrome Program
The FirstLine Therapy Metabolic Syndrome Program is a professionally supervised, personalized lifestyle modification plan. Designed by healthcare professionals, this program has been shown remarkably successful in helping individuals like you return to a path of extended health.
This is not a weight reduction program — it’s a disease reduction program. While weight loss often occurs, it’s only secondary to the primary goal helping you achieve and maintain a healthy body composition ( lean-muscle-to-fat ratio ) to improve health, manage disease, feel better, and reduce your risk of more serious conditions.
FirstLine Therapy® is a Therapeutic Lifestyle Change (TLC) program that can enhance your health and prevent disease.
It can help you address a wide range of health conditions as well as other lifestyle related health concerns and symptoms. These include:
• Heart disease
• High cholesterol
• High blood pressure
• Alzheimer’s disease
• Hormone imbalance
• Stress-related symptoms
• Poor memory or lack of mental clarity
• And many others
FirstLine Therapy is structured with professional supervision to help you:
- Establish realistic, personalized goals to improve health
- Monitor your progress and help you stay on track
- Learn how to eat and shop for healthy, nutritious foods that manage (not increase) cravings
- Exercise in a way that builds muscle and gets rid of unwanted fat
- Relax and manage unhealthy stress
- Feel better and do more!
First Line Therapy is A 12 week program offered at the Integrative Wellness & Research Center: http://www.integrativewellness.org. Contact us at 901-763-7006 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment with Kimberly Martindale.
FirstLine Therapy® is about making choices every day that will enable you to achieve a long, full, and healthy life.
1) 2 hour initial visit with body composition test ($95.00)
2) 1 hour follow up with body composition test ($75.00)
3) 30 minute follow up with body composition test ($50.00)
* A $25 coupon can be used toward supplements from our natural pharmacy if the client does not wish to have a body composition test during a follow up visit.
- Initial visit with Body Composition (Bioimpedance Analysis (BIA) is a method of assessing your “body composition”—the measurement of body fat in relation to lean body mass.)
- 4 week follow up with Body Composition
- 8 week follow up with Body Composition
- 12 week follow up with Body Composition
Scientific Evidence for FirstLine Therapy® and TLC
While weight loss plans routinely tout “scientific evidence” to back their claims, the fact is, any diet that results in a calorie deficit will produce weight loss. But FirstLine Therapy isn’t about just losing weight, it’s about making choices every day that will enhance your health and prevent disease, enabling you to achieve a full, healthy life.
A wealth of scientific evidence tells us that adopting habits that are healthy can delay the onset of illness in old age and extend years of good health. Here are the results of just some of the major studies affirming the advantages of FirstLine Therapy and the benefits of therapeutic lifestyle changes in general and the advantages of :
The Advantages of FirstLine Therapy
• In a recent study conducted by the Functional Medicine Research Center, the research arm of Metagenics, FirstLine Therapy was shown to improve important cardiovascular disease risk factors in patients with metabolic syndrome, more significantly than the same low-glycemic-load diet and exercise alone.1
• In a 12-week, 2-arm prospective clinical trial of postmenopausal women (53 subjects completing the trial), FirstLine Therapy was shown to effectively address 14 markers of cardiovascular health—significantly better than a leading American Heart Association dietary plan with exercise.2
The Benefits of Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes
• A study published in the American Journal of Cardiology concluded that many patients with conventional risk factors for CHD can experience lowered risk without mediations within 12 weeks of starting a therapeutic lifestyle change program, refuting the notion that intensive lifestyle modification is not worth the effort.3
• In a similar study of 337 adults ranging in age from 43 to 81 years published by the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, a lifestyle modification program was found to be an effective nutrition and physical activity intervention in the short term, and has the potential to notably decrease the risks associated with common chronic disease in the long term.4
• The PREMIER multi-center clinical trial published in the Journal of the American Medical Association and sponsored by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute found that individuals with above-optimal blood pressure, including stage 1 hypertension, can apply multiple lifestyle changes that lower blood pressure and reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease.5
• A randomized, single-blind 3-year study of 180 patients with metabolic syndrome concluded that a Mediterranean-style diet ( emphasizing whole grains, fish, vegetables, and fruit) might be effective in reducing the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and its associated cardiovascular disease risk.6
• A cohort study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society of 3,051 men age 60-79 years with no diabetes mellitus or diagnosis of CHD found that modification of lifestyle factors, even later in life, has considerable potential for primary prevention of metabolic syndrome.7
1. Lerman RH, Bland JS, Darland G, Lamb JJ, Minich DM, Schiltz, Tripp ML. Supplementation with a novel selective kinase response modulator (SKRM) nutraceutical and medical food significantly enhances the benefits of a diet and exercise program in subjects with metabolic syndrome. Functional Medicine Research Center, the clinical research arm of Metagenics, Inc., Gig Harbor, WA. [In preparation].
2. Lukaczer D, Liskak DJ, Lerlman RH, Darland G, Schiltz B, Tripp M, Bland JS. Effect of a low glycemic index diet with soy protein and phytosterols on CVD risk factors in postmenopausal women. Nutrition 2006;22(2):104-13.
3. Gordon NF , Salmon RD, Franklin BA, et al. Effectiveness of therapeutic lifestyle changes in patients with hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and/or hyperglycemia. Am J Cardiol 2004;94(12):1558-61.
4. Aldana SG, Greenlaw RL, Diehl HA, Salberg A, Merrill RM, Ohmine S, et al. Effects of an intensive diet and physical activity modification program on the health risks of adults. J Am Diet Assoc 2005;105(3):371-81.
5. Appel J, Champagne CM, Harsha DW, Cooper LS, Obarzanek E, Elmer PJ, et al. Effects of comprehensive lifestyle modification on blood pressure control. Main results of the PREMIER clinical trial. JAMA 2003;289(16):2083-93.
6. Esposito K, Marfella R, Ciotola M, et al. Effect of a Mediterranean-style diet on endothelial dysfunction and markers of vascular inflammation in the metabolic syndrome. JAMA 2004;292:1440-1446.
7. Wannamethee SG, Shaper AG, Whincup PH. Modifiable lifestyle factors and the metabolic syndrome in older men: effects of lifestyle changes. J Am Geriatr Soc 2006;54(12):1909-14.
Information obtained from www.metagenics.com.
I recently spoke to a group of ladies at my church about health and nutrition. I passed out a handout with this information on it.
Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. ” (Genesis 1: 29)
Current Health Statistics
- In 1970 1 in 10,000 had autism. CDC – 1 in 50 has autism in 2013.
- In 1970 4% of children were obese with rare cases of type 2 diabetes. In 2013 40% of children are obese and one in three children suffers from diabetes. Diabetes cases among all age groups have increased more than 700 percent in the last 50 years.
- Childhood asthma rates have increased by 200% since 1990. 8% of Americans have asthma today.
- Only 1% of children were diagnosed with ADHD in 1970. In 2013 11% of children are diagnosed with ADHD (that is one in 5). There has been a 700% increase in psycho-stimulant use.
- Food allergies are now among America’s most common medical concerns. Today 3 in 100 people have a life-threatening allergy to peanuts, dairy, eggs or shellfish.
- According to the American Cancer Society cancer rates have increased since 1901 from only 1 in 8,000 Americans to 1 in 3 today. Brain cancer in children is up 40% in 20 years.
What is causing this explosion of disease in the past few decades? We know our genes can’t change that fast.
1) Environmental Toxins – 2,000 new chemicals are introduced into commerce annually in the U.S., at a rate of seven new chemicals a day. 85,000 chemicals are in use today. Our government does not require safety testing on chemicals before they are released into the environment. A modern baby is born with 200+ chemicals in his/her blood many of which are known to be carcinogens and endocrine disruptors.
2) Electromagnetic pollution is a global problem. EMFs are the radiation that surrounds all electrical appliances and devices, power lines, and home wiring and is emitted by communications devices, including cell phones and radio, TV, and WiFi transmitters.
Public health policy experts from the United States, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, and China, released a 650-page report citing more than 2,000 studies that detail the toxic effects of EMFs from all sources. Chronic exposure to even low-level radiation (like that from cell phones), the scientists concluded, can cause a variety of cancers, impair immunity, and contribute to Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, heart disease, and many other ailments.
3) Toxic food is man made, processed food, which includes dangerous additives like high fructose corn syrup, MSG, nitrates/nitrites, artificial sweeteners, food dyes, chemical preservatives, trans and hydrogenated fats and GMOs. Industry spends billions advertising fast food and junk food to our children. Food scientists have figured out how to engineer food to make it addictive to increase profits.
Genetically Modified foods include Soy, Cottonseed oil, Canola, Corn, Sugar Beets, Hawaiian papaya, Alfalfa, Zucchini and some Yellow Squash. 50 countries ban or significantly restrict GMOS. Visit “The Institute for Responsible Technology” for more information.
4) Chronic Stress: Unlike everyday stressors, which can be managed with healthy stress management behaviors, untreated chronic stress can result in serious health conditions including anxiety, insomnia, muscle pain, high blood pressure and a weakened immune system. Research shows that stress can contribute to the development of major illnesses, such as heart disease, depression and obesity.
5) The destruction of microbial diversity – Almost all disease begins in the gut. Microbial health and diversity is the key to a strong, healthy body and immune system. Antibiotics, pesticides, chemicals, steroids, chemotherapy and Genetically modified food all contribute to the destruction of healthy bacteria in our gut.
How Do I build a healthy body through nutrition? JUST EAT REAL FOOD!
Take baby steps. Choose one or more items to focus on at a time.
1) Eat raw food to detoxify, alkalinize, energize, lose weight, improve digestion and live longer. Living foods contain enzymes. Get raw food via juicing, smoothies, salads and dips. 50% or more of our diet should be raw.
Foods to buy organic (thin skinned fruits and vegetables) include Celery, Peaches, Strawberries, Apples, Blueberries, Nectarines, Bell peppers, Spinach, Kale, Cherries, Potatoes, Grapes, Cucumbers, Squash and Zucchini.
2) Eat healthy fats: Your brain and your hormones need healthy fats! Our brains are 80% fat.
- Organic butter and ghee from pastured cows
- Coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, walnut oil, flax seed oil, sesame oil
- Free range, organic eggs and pastured meat
- Fatty fish and fish oil
3) Choose nutrient dense carbohydrates. Ditch the grains (with the exception of rice and quinoa in moderation) and eat complex carbs: Vegetables, beans, sweet potatoes, and fruit. Always combine carbs with healthy fats or protein.
* Avoid processed sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Excess sugar feeds cancer cells, triggers weight gain, promotes premature aging, feeds pathogenic bacteria and yeast, creates hormonal imbalance and shrinks our brain. Sugar causes inflammation.
* Avoid grains, especially gluten – Gluten intolerance is linked over 100 illnesses. Research has shown that as many as 40% of all Americans may be gluten sensitive. No human can properly digest gluten. Whole wheat bread has a higher glycemic index than a tablespoon of sugar or a Snickers Bar. Get tested or try an elimination diet.
4) Eat organic, pastured eggs and meat. Factory farmed/feed lot animals have a very different nutritional profile than naturally raised animals. Eat 4 servings of protein a day.
5) Eat traditional foods – Fermented foods contain billions of probiotics for building a healthy immune system (kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, Greek yogurt, fermented coconut water, kambucha, etc.), organ meats, bone broth, and meat on the bone.
6) Take Supplements – Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes, Omega 3 fatty acids (DHEA), Vitamin D3, & Magnesium and iodine (Dulse and kelp)
7) Drink pure, filtered water. Tap water contains chlorine, fluoride and who knows what else.
8) Move your body – I recommend interval training, walking, yoga and rebounding. Find something you love and do it!
9) Get 7-9 hours of sleep in a completely dark room. EMFs can interfere with sleep so keep your phone on airport mode if it’s by your bed and turn your wifi off at night.
10) Reduce your stress, deal with negative emotions, practice gratitude and forgive those who have wronged you and don’t forget to forgive yourself.
11) Get tested for food sensitivities, GI health, chemical and heavy metal load, hormones, adrenal health, lyme disease, etc… Visit the Integrative Wellness Center.
12) Learn to cook – Cooking is a lost art in America. Cooking can be fun, nourishing, and educational. Cooking can bring families and communities together. For some kids it’s their only interaction with the natural world.
13) Don’t let yourself become isolated. Find a community. Grow in your faith and use your gifts and resources to bless others.
My Favorite Food Pyramid from Nourishing Hope
I recently found this amazing food pyramid online at nourishinghope.com. This pyramid is very similar to the therapeutic diet that we use at the Integrative Wellness Clinic. My family and I try to eat this way 80-90% of the time.
The shaded areas of this pyramid represent foods that are not necessary but can be consumed by those who are not intolerant or allergic to them. These include grains, starchy vegetables and diary products. GF stands for gluten free grains. Notice that gluten is not permitted at all. Rice and Quinoa are safe, gluten-free grains. Some of the members of our family are intolerant to diary products so we use diary alternatives like coconut milk, hemp milk and almond milk instead.
I recently printed this out and put it on my fridge. It’s nice to have a visual reminder of what I believe, and have experienced, to be the most healing diet on earth.
I love this book review and the 10 tips for teaching kids to eat healthy food. You can read the original post at: On Hundred Days of Real Food
10 great takeaways (the “French Food Rules”) from the book French Kids Eat Everything:
- Parents: You are in charge of your children’s food education.
Apparently the French think us Americans cram our schedules so full with activities (like sports, art, music, dance, etc.) that it leaves little time to teach our children “some of the most basic, important things they need to know, like the proper way to prepare, cook, and eat healthy food.” You have to admit it’s hard to argue with that criticism. And I just love the analogy the author uses when she says, “French parents think about healthy eating habits the way we think about toilet training, or reading.” If your child had trouble learning to read or using the potty would you just give up? Same should go for eating a variety of healthy foods…I know, they are right and it stings.
- Avoid emotional eating. Food is not a pacifier, a distraction, a toy, a bribe, a reward, or a substitute for discipline.
I feel like we are so far down this rabbit hole it might be hard to get out, but let’s face it they have a good point here! Food is for nourishment, hunger, and nutrition…not for being a good listener.
- Parents schedule meals and menus. Kids eat what adults eat: no substitutes and no short-order cooking.
If this were a reality for everyone it would certainly make life a lot easier!
- Food is social. Eat family meals together at the table, with no distractions.
How you eat can be as important as what you eat.
- Eat vegetables of all colors of the rainbow. Don’t eat the same main dish more than once per week.
I agree that variety is extremely important, but I am personally a little stumped when it comes to the second half of this rule. We love leftovers at our house and feel they are such a time saver…but that certainly means eating the same main dish more than once, or in some cases, more than twice per week!
- For picky eaters: You don’t have to like it, but you do have totaste it.
For fussy eaters: You don’t have to like it, but you do have to eatit.
When considering these statements it’s also VERY important to remember that “you’re not going to convince the kids to love food by being too strict with them. It has to be enjoyable. Not necessarily loads of fun, but simply pleasurable.” This takes us back to that “gentle persistence” I mentioned above.
- Limit snacks, ideally one per day (two maximum), and not within one hour of meals.
Now, I know out of all the rules on this list that “no more constant snacking” will likely cause the most uproar. But according to the author it’s okay to feel hungry in-between meals and guess what…your kids might eat a better dinner if they are actually hungry!
- Take your time, for both cooking and eating. Slow food is happy food.
“North Americans associate food most with health and least with pleasure. The French are at the opposite extreme: they are the most pleasure-oriented and the least health-oriented about food.” And ironically enough “20 percent of kids in the United States are obese, but only 3 percent in France.” Now if that doesn’t send a message, I don’t know what does.
- Eat mostly real, homemade food, and save treats for special occasions. (Hint: Anything processed is not “real” food.)
See…I am not the only one preaching this statement! But “so much of what French people eat is, by default, ‘real food‘” so I’d have to say they don’t exactly face the same challenges we do when it comes to encountering junk food on almost every corner. The French do have an admirable approach though when it comes to the processed, junk food their kids may want to eat on occasion. They do not police their children’s food intake (or ban all junk food), but instead attempt to “train their children to eat a balanced diet and to realize how much healthier they feel if they eat mostly ‘real food.’” I’ve always said that if my daughters only avoid processed food “because mommy said so” then it’s not going to get us very far.
- (The Golden Rule) Eating is joyful, not stressful. Treat the food rules as habits or routines rather than strict regulations; it’s fine to relax them once in a while.
I couldn’t agree more with the importance of this rule, but striking the perfect balance between “good nutrition” and “relaxing the rules” is no easy task. And maybe that’s because most American children are faced with processed, junk food on a regular basis (at birthday parties, friend’s houses, church events, soccer practice, school celebrations, etc.). As I mentioned above, our society is (unfortunately) not exactly working together on these issues like they are in France. Regardless though, I agree it is not “healthy” to constantly be stressed out about the food you eat.
In addition to this list of rules there were so many other startling facts and insightful statements that I took away from this book. I wish I could share them all here, but since that’s not a very practical idea I will instead just highly recommend that everyone go out and read the book yourselves! I promise you won’t regret it…not to mention there are a handful of kid-friendly recipes in the back.
Chicken Bone Broth – Taken from INTERNAL BLISS, Recipes designed for those following the Gut and Psychology Syndrome diet
- Chicken Bones from 2 chickens (roasted with meat removed). To roast chickens, place in the oven at 370 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until internal temp reaches 170. Before roasting salt the chickens and put a half onion in each cavity for flavor and moisture.
- Filtered Cold Water – 4 quarts
- 1 Tbsp Salt (Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4-5 bay leaves
- Veggies: onion, garlic, carrots, celery, parsley, thyme, rosemary
1. Place the bones in a large stockpot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and skim off the scum that will rise to the top. Turn down to a simmer or low.
2. Add the vinegar and salt and veggies. Let this broth cook for 24 hours. You may need to add more water as it evaporates. The minimum amount of cooking time would be 12 hours, but a least overnight is best. Strain the bones and veggies out and toss. The longer you cook the bones, the more medicinal your broth will be.
3. If you plan on drinking your broth in a mug add some seasonings first. Chili powder, cumin, salt, italian herbs, gluten free mustard, and sugar free salsa are a few we like. Strain before drinking.
Best Friend Soup – by Kim Martindale
- Chicken white or dark meat roasted or boiled; pulled apart or cut in small pieces 2 quarts of bone broth (recipe above)
- 1 tablespoon of fat left from roasting a chicken
- 4-6 carrots, sliced
- 4-6 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3-4 tomatoes, diced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, sliced or crushed
- 1-2 cups of frozen green beans
- 1-2 tablespoons of Italian Seasoning (if you like it spicy)
- 2 teaspoons of Cumin
- 2 teaspoons of Chili Powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Optional: a half cup of pineapple salsa, organic tomato basil pasta sauce, or picante sauce.
Saute the veggies in fat left from roasted chicken; add the seasonings, and simmer until slightly tender in a large skillet or soup pot. I add frozen green beans to the fresh veggies giving them time to get tender as well.
Put the veggies into a stock pot and add chicken pieces and chicken broth until you have the desired amount of liquid. Let soup reach desired tenderness and enjoy!
When we found out that Grace needed to be on a gluten, dairy, egg and sugar free diet we had to make some big changes in how we ate. As a family we embraced her diet (with the exception of eggs). Thankfully Grace and Lauren learned to love healthy, nutritious food. Here’s how we did it and what we learned along the way.
My advice for parents of picky eaters:
When it comes to food, take charge and be the parent. Kids have no idea what their minds and bodies need to be healthy. Help them build a strong immune system and healthy food preferences while they are young so they can avoid the many chronic diseases that have become so common on the SAD (Standard American Diet).
- Stock your pantry and fridge with clean, nourishing food. If it’s not in the house no one will eat it.
- It’s your responsibility to provide and prepare good food. It is your child’s responsibility to eat it. Avoid food battles and bribing.
- Remember, your child will not let himself starve!
- Always combine sweet snacks with a good fat or protein to keep blood sugar levels stable and prevent a sugar addiction.
- Introduce new foods in very small portions along side familiar foods.
- Encourage your child to take a no thank you bite. Tell them to take a bite and if they don’t like it, they can say, ‘no thank you’. Don’t stop introducing the food just because the child doesn’t like it at first.
- Tell your child that taste buds change and you can learn to like anything if you keep trying it.
- Have your child eat healthy food FIRST. Put the items they like most in a separate plate where they can see it but aren’t allowed to eat any until the healthy food is finished.
- If your child is very stubborn you can set a timer for meal times. If they refuse to try their new food before the timer dings then the meal is over and they can go. However, they will not be allowed to eat anything else until their food is eaten. Leave the food on the table so they can return if they get hungry and eat it later.
- Involve your child in cooking. Let them help plan the menu. Teach them to cook.
- Make the food look fun to eat.
- Don’t allow children to eat dessert if they are unwilling to eat their meal. If they are hungry enough to eat dessert they can eat their dinner. Teaching kids not to waste is important. If they are full, they can come back later and finish their food.
- Blend vegetables and add them to soups, chili, spaghetti sauce and other meals.
- Set a good example by eating healthy food in front of your child.
- Help your child plant a garden to grow their favorite vegetables.
- Educate your child about nutrition. Read labels with them and have them do some research to learn how certain ingredients effect their health. Do the same with healthy foods. Sites like, The World’s Healthiest Foods, http://whfoods.org/the-worlds-healthiest-foods/ do a wonderful job of describing the health benefits of specific foods and provide links to clinical studies and research on these foods.
- Divide food into red, yellow and green categories so kids understand which foods are more nutritious (feed our cells, clean our bodies and strengthen the immune system) and which ones are anti-nutritious (damage, inflame and deplete the body of nutrition). Example: Green foods (broccoli, coconut, sweet potatoes, carrots), Yellow foods (milk chocolate, raw honey, peanuts, gluten free pancakes), Red (soda, store bought fruit juice, artificial sweeteners, candy).
- Find local farmers and farmer’s markets and take your kids to visit them. A field trip to a farm can be a wonderful educational experience for kids. Let them milk a cow and gather eggs.
- There are many good documentaries on food that you can watch with your older children.
If you need help choosing nutrient dense foods and understanding food labels pick up “Rich Food Poor Food: The Ultimate Grocery Purchasing System (GPS) by Mira Calton, Jayson Calton, William Davis and Mark Sisson (Feb 26, 2013).
Colostrum is the pre-milk fluid produced by female mammals in the mammary glands just before they give birth. While it is technically not milk at all, colostrums is often called “first milk” as it is obtained in the first milking after birth. Birth is the triggering even that ceases colostrum’s production in the mother and signals the body for the milk to come in or for the mammal “to freshen.”
Colostrum is the fluid held in the mammary tissue until either the:
- Newborn nurses
- Mother reabsorbs the nutrients or
- The Colostrum is harvested
After the first milking, the fluid begins to change into milk, containing less colostrum and more milk as time passes. This transitional period lasts 2-3 days. This fluid is referred to as transitional milk. In all other mammals other than humans, colostrum is crucial to the survival of the newborn. This is because of the high concentration of immune factors that are transferred through the colostrum. In humans only, some immunofactors are transferred through the placenta. The colostrum is still very important, but if the newborn baby does not receive the colostrum, death is not eminent, as it is in all other mammals.
Timing is also very important. If the calf, foal, puppy, etc. experiences difficulties at birth and is unable to nurse for 12 to 18 hours, it will probably die. This is due to the re-absorption of immune-factors by the mother. It is actually more humane and beneficial for the newborn for the colostrum to be harvested as soon as practical after birth and then bottle-fed to the newborn for the first day of life. This allows the newborn to receive excellent quality colostrum during the critical first 24 hours of life. Unless the colostrum is harvested immediately after birth, the quality is greatly compromised.
All of the nutritional benefits (vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, etc.) of breast milk and colostrum are not really applicable to supplemental forms. Breast milk is the infant’s only food and they may consume several pints a day. The small amount of colostrum in a supplement does not supply adequate amounts of these nutrients for an adult. The focus of colostrum as a supplement is the immunofactors, which are not required in huge amounts to stimulate and support the immune system.
History of Colostrum
Since the beginning of time, man has observed that newborns fare better, live longer, and have fewer illnesses if they were able to obtain their mother’s first milk. In America, the Amish celebrated the beginning of a new life when a calf was born. After the calf’s first feeding, they harvested the colostrum (first milk) and prepared a pudding from it for the whole family to enjoy. The Amish noted for decades the health benefits of such a ritual. It appears that the ritual was eventually lost or replaced.
In India, where cows are sacred, colostrum is still delivered to the doorstep along with the normal milk delivery. When illness strikes a household, colostrum is often the first medication used by the family.
The way we view life and health has changed dramatically over the last hundred years. So have our lifestyles and our morality. In America, and more recently in other parts of the world, we have become a quick-fix, disposable society. Convenience and self-indulgence have become a mainstay of our lives.
As our grandparents and parents become older and die, so do many of the traditions that they passed on through generations. We have often chosen to forsake tradition for convenience and self-indulgence. As a society, we are continually looking for the easy way out. This quick fix philosophy has resulted in the gradual erosion of tradition.
Breast Milk: A Perfect Food
In humans as well as other mammals, a newborn’s very first meal of colostrum is of great significance to its health and well-being for the rest of its life. The immune system of the newborn is not fully developed, making it highly susceptible to numerous pathogens, antigens and allergens. Colostrum provided in breast milk contains all the needed immune factors that are essential to activate, regulate and balance the immune system. This is of great significance as the newborn’s own system develops.
Mother’s milk provides the perfectly assigned, individualized nutritional food to promote passive immunity and proper growth and development. As mammals grow, essential glycoproteins in breast milk keep the immune system functional.
Nutritional Support + Immunity
Mother’s milk provides both immunity(passive and active) and nutritional benefits. The lipids, carbohydrates, amino acids and other nutrients provide the baby with ideal nutrition and, therefore, enhance the overall health of the baby. Colostrum provides rich immune factors to sensitive newborns that cannot yet fend for themselves. Peyer’s patches, found throughout the intestinal tract, and groups of immunoactive cells in the bronchial mucosa that destroy allergens, antigens and pathogens, are not yet operative in the newborn.
Colostrum contains antibodies against E. coli, Salmonells, Shigells v. cholera, Bacteriodes fragilis, Streptococcus pneumonia, Bordtella pertussis, Clostridium diphtheria, Streptococcus mutans, clostridium tetani and Candida albicans. Breast feeding was also found to be effective against the hepatitis C virus (HCV). Research shows that both anti-HCV antibody and HCV-ribonucleic acid are present in colostrum.
Babies deprived of breast milk are simply not as healthy as those who are breast-fed. Non-breast fed babies develop eczema, food and upper respiratory allergies and gastrointestinal problems at a much higher rate than breast-fed babies do. Acquired maternal antibodies are also transferred through breast feeding and will protect the baby. If the mother has contracted a disease such as measles, pertussis, or mumps, sometime prior to pregnancy, she has developed antibodies against them making her immune to re-infection. These antibodies are passed on in her breast milk to protect the baby from contracting these conditions while breast feeding. This is a most critical time of growth and development. Breast-fed babies who do contract these conditions later will experience a milder condition with far fewer complications compared to non-breast-fed babies.
Protection from Allergies, Inflammatory and Autoimmune Diseases
Researchers hypothesize that the natural auto-antibodies in colostrum and milk may contribute to the selection process of physiological development during the early postnatal period in breast-fed infants. This could explain the lower frequency of allergic, inflammatory, autoimmune diseases and lymphomas which are seen in individuals who were breast-fed as infants.
Colostrum Benefits Infants with Diarrhea
Studies report colostrum helps manage infants with chronic diarrhea. In eight children with chronic diarrhea, ranging from nine months to three years of age, E. coli was present in all eight cases. Ascaris lambricoidis in four, and Giardia lambia in one. All eight children were given 20 ml. of fresh human colostrum daily for seven days. In addition, those who had giardiasis received metronidazole treatment, while cases with ascariasis were given antihelminthic therapy. The results indicated that colostrum provided effective antidiarrheal action in some patients with chronic diarrhea of infective origin.
Studies show the activity of human colostrum in stimulating DNA synthesis was 20 times greater than that of bovine serum. The activity of growth factors in human colostrum was higher than that in human milk or bovine colostrum, and only human colostrum contains two different kinds of growth factors: CAGF, an epidermal growth factor, and CBGF, a platelet differentiation growth factor.
Promotes Development of Infant GI tract
Following birth, the infant gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach and small intestine) undergoes profound growth, changes and functional maturation. These changes are apparently related to the onset of colostrum ingestion, because starved or water-fed newborns showed little changes in the GI tract. This is due to the hormones and growth-promoting peptides, such as insulin, cortisol, epidermal growth factor (EGF) and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) found at high concentrations in the maternal colostrum.
Human colostrum contains high concentrations of motilin and gastrin (hormones that stimulate the flow of gastric juices and cause bile and pancreatic enzyme release). Motilin and gastrin concentrations in human colostrum are the highest compared to human mature milk, cow colostrum and cow mature milk. The difference in motilin concentration is very significant between human milk and cow milk. These components in colostrum can also be used therapeutically for premature infants or newborns with immature or diseased GI tracts.
Breast Milk Linked to Low Cholesterol
Breast-fed babies may be less likely to have elevated cholesterol levels as adults. A study of four-month-olds found differences in the way formula-fed infants produce cholesterol, which is crucial for the brain’s development. Breast milk has six times more cholesterol than formula, and formula-fed babies respond by producing their own. Despite the increased production, formula-fed babies still have 40% less cholesterol in their blood. The formula-fed babies are receiving inadequate cholesterol causing them to produce it. This increased cholesterol production during infancy may have an “imprinting effect” that persists later in life, meaning that formula-fed babies may suffer from higher cholesterol levels as adults.
Lactoferrin, a bioactive glycoprotein, is one of the body’s own most powerful immune-defensives. While it is found in breast milk, Lactoferrin is found in tears and in other body fluids located at body openings—the oral and nasal openings—the oral and nasal cavities, GI tract, genitourinary tract and respiratory tract. Lactoferrin is the first line of defense for any opening in the body. It is also found in small quantities in most body fluids such as saliva, tears, nasal secretions, intestinal fluids such as bile and in secondary granules of white blood cells called neutrophils. It is synthesized by mucosal lining (such as in the mouth and intestinal tract) and by neutrophils, and is released by these cells in response to inflammatory stimuli. Very low physiologic serum levels of lactoferrin increase significantly upon infection.
Receptors for lactoferrin have been detected and isolated on activated T- and B-cells, monocytes, intestinal brush border cells, platelets and neoplastic cells.
The benefits of lactoferrin include:
- Binds and transports iron within the body
- Beneficial for iron-deficiency anemia
- Provides unfavorable conditions for growth of certain harmful pathogens which need iron for proliferation
- Promotes intestinal cell growth (enhances nutrient digestion)
- Activates and regulates the immune system
- Produces or stimulates production of antibodies, interleukins, killer cells and other white blood cells
- Enhances phagocytosis, cell adherence and controls release of pro-inflammatory cytokines such as IL-1,
- IL-6, and TNF-alpha
- Provides unfavorable conditions for growth of certain harmful microorganisms (inhibits binding activity)
- Acts as an antioxidant diminishes the damaging effects of free radicals
- Promotes maturation of immature T- and B-cells
- Controls cellular immune response and inhibits manifestations of autoimmune response in mice
- Helps speed healing of wounds
- May have value for individuals with breast cancer
- Potentially benefits patients with bleeding disorders as a preoperative immune-modulator
Functions and Aspects of Control
Lactoferrin is closely related in structure to the plasma iron transport protein transferrin. The ability of lactoferrin to bind to excess iron ions, prevents the growth of bacterial an viral microorganisms and tumors, as iron is needed for their growth.
Lactoferrin also inhibits viral attack through its ability to strongly bind to the envelope protein. This prevents cell-virus fusion as the binding domain is shielded. Another major function of lactoferrin is its ability to stimulate the release of neutrophil-activating polypeptide interleukin 8. This suggests that lactoferrin may function as an immune-mediator for activating the host defense system. Lactoferrin is implicated in particular in the control of immune functions and cell proliferation.
Researchers examining its involvement in cancer progression report that lactoferrin has a significant effect on natural killer (NK) cell cytotoxicity against certain cell lines. They also showed that lactoferrin has a normalizing effect by inhibiting cell proliferation by blocking the cell cycle progression.
Many other functions are attributed to lactoferrin. These include antibody synthesis, regulation and control of the production of interleukins, lymphocyte proliferation and complement activation, but the action of these functions is not fully understood. It has been suggested that lactoferrin may contribute to T-cell proliferation. Lactoferrin regulates the iron which at low concentrations is inhibitory to T-cells. Lactoferrin may also have a protective function over structures such as macrophages and lymphocytes.
Lactoferrin and Inflammatory Response
One of the major benefits of lactoferrin is its ability to reduce inflammation through the regulation of inflammatory cytokines such as inteleukin-1 (IL-1), interleukin-6 (IL-6), and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNFa). These are a large group of chemicals largely produced by T-cells. Lactoferrin is a good inducer of IL-6 and TNFa production. Each one acts on a particular group of cells. While they are necessary in certain situations, too much of even a good thing can be damaging.
The problem is that high levels of these substances are seen in individuals with inflammatory autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, asthma, allergies, etc. Overproduction of IL-6 may explain many of the symptoms of these conditions; specifically, in individuals with rheumatoid arthritis. IL-6 is produced by the synovial fluids and contributes to inflammation, tissue damage and pain.
In most colostrum dietary supplements, the lactoferrin content is not sufficient unless additional amounts are added. A newborn calf will ingest a half-liter or more of colostrum at its first meal and will therefore receive an adequate amount of lactoferrin. Most colostrum supplements, even at high doses of up to 2 grams per day, contain less than 2% of the lactoferrin that a newborn receives. It is far better to take the highest quality colostrum obtainable and to be sure that it is supplemented with additional lactoferrin to receive the correct balance.
Lactoferrin works on contact and is therefore best utilized if taken into the oral cavity (mouth) so it can begin working right away. Fortunately, the numerous immune factors found in colostrum and lactoferrin are transferrable from one species to another. This means that humans can benefit from the immune-rich colostrum and lactoferrin from cows. Colostrum from cows is much richer in immune factors than that of humans. Human colostrum contains only 2% IgG (the body’s most important immunoglobulin) while bovine colostrum contains 86% IgG. A variety of colostrum-lactoferrin supplements derived from bovine colostrum are now available for use by adults and children. These can be found in the form of powder, capsules, tablets, chewables, lozenges, liquids, creams, sprays, etc.
Infants and Children
Ideally, women should breast-feed as long as possible. But some women are unable to breast-feed their newborn or cannot breast feed for the entire first year due to mastitis or other reasons. The benefits of colostrum can still be obtained through colostrum supplementation. By supplementing your bottle-fed child with an excellent quality, pure, unadulterated, liquid bovine colostrum, is still possible to obtain many of the immune and growth factors so important for proper development.
If the following regimen is adhered to each time your infant drinks, you will help to ensure proper immunity, brain and gastrointestinal development for your infant. This is an excellent way to supplement the diet for infants that are unable to breast-feed.
Birth to 6 Months: Add 1 drop/day of liquid colostrum in formula, water or vegetable juice. If the infant is in any type of distress, add 1 drop/feeding until distress is gone and then continue 1 drop/day.
6 Months to 1 Year: Add 2 drops/day in formula, water or juice. If the infant is in any type of distress, add 2 drops/feeding until distress is gone and then continue 2 drops/day.
Over 1 Year: Add 3 drops/day for each year of age. If in distress, use 3 drops/feeding for each year of age.
After age two, or when the child is old enough, you can start them on a regimen of colostrum/lactoferrin lozenges to continue the process. Excellent quality lozenges are available through most fine health food stores. If you can find a product that combines both colostrum and lactoferrin in an oral delivery it will save time and effort while providing the best for your child. A maintenance dose of one lozenge daily should provide adequate protection. At first sign of illness, you may safely increase the intake to 2 to 4 lozenges daily. The liquid may also safely be utilized.
All mammals build immunity during their lifetime based upon the pathogens they come in contact with. If a mammal grows up in a sheltered environment free of toxins and pathogens, its immunity will be much lower (weaker) than a mammal growing up in close proximity to other mammals and therefore numerous pathogens. Remote tribes all over the world were all but eliminated when explorers came into their camps and accidentally introduced a common form of influenza. Since the tribes had never encountered the flu, they had no immunity to fight it off.
Back to Basics
For years bovine colostrum was used as a folk remedy in Scandinavian countries. This changed in the 1950’s when all the “highly sophisticated, medically-advanced” miracle drugs came into the picture. People chose to ignore older, traditional methods that clearly worked. Colostrum contains many complicated factors which work together. It does not have just one easy-to-describe mode of action, like penicillin.
Current Medical Environment
The prevalence of AIDS, immune disorders such as Lyme disease, Epstein-Barr (chronic infectious mononucleosis, sometimes called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), Fibromyalgia, Candida-related-Complex, Herpes Simplex, and various autoimmune disorders have forced us to learn more about our immune system, our health in general and the effect of negative lifestyles. These immune disorders have caused us to review all the nutritional options. One of these is the use of supplemental colostrum and lactoferrin.
Colostrum was specially designed by nature to:
- Support our immune system
Colostrum contains all four of the key immunoglobulins: IgM, IgG, IgA and secretory IgA. These immunoglobulins are equipped with special adaptive sites which are effective at neutralizing a wide range of bacteria, viruses and yeasts. They include antibodies specific to fight pathogenic microorganisms.
Colostrum provides specific antibody reactivity to bacteria, viruses and yeasts. Most infectious diseases enter the body through the mouth or remain localized in mucosal surfaces, primarily the stomach and intestinal tract. We must be able to combat disease-causing organisms where they attack us.
Fortunately, colostrum helps us do that. Most of the colostrum antibodies are believed not to be absorbed and digested but to remain in the intestinal tract after being swallowed where they fight off intruders. It is commonly assumed that the digestive enzymes in the stomach and intestines would break up or digest the immunoglobulin-protein molecules in colostrum when ingested; research has shown, however, that colostrum contains a powerful trypsin inhibitor and a number of protease inhibitors that protect the immune factors from breaking up.
The major benefits of immune factors in colostrum and lactoferrin occur within the mouth, stomach and on the intestinal and bronchial walls, and not as a result of their passage into the tissues. This means if the majority of immune enhancing benefits occur in these locations, colostrum can benefit people of all ages. Added support can make a tremendous difference where the immune system is marginal or below marginal.
Leukocytes (White Blood Cells)
Colostrum contains living white blood cells which protect us from a variety of pathogens. Neutrophils and macrophages are the most prominent cells in colostrum. Lymphocytes are also present, predominantly T-cells, which produce interferon and other protective factors.
Dozens of scientific papers suggest that colostrum can block or reduce the severity of a wide variety of infections including many which have their initiation in the oral/fecal route. Colostrum is effective against a number of microorganisms including the following bacteria: E. coli (including 0157 strain), Streptococcus pheumonococci, Clostridium difficile toxins A and B, Vibrio cholera, Salmonella, Shigella, Bactericide fragilis, Bordtella pertussis, and the following viruses: Ratavirus, Respiratory Syncytial virus (RSV), Coxsackie, Echo and Alphaviruses, Poliomyelitis, Enteric, Hemagglutinating encephalitis, Herpes simplex, and yeasts such as Candida.
Numerous researchers have demonstrated that colostrum has bacteriostatic and bacteriocidal effects against E. coli. Peroxidase, lactoferrin and IgA, all found in colostrum, are capable of creating powerful effects against E. coli. Oligosaccharides found in colostrum have been shown to block attachment of a wide variety of bacteria, especially s. pneumococci, to mucous membranes, thereby aiding in the prevention of respiratory inflammations.
Clostridium bacteria are spore-forming and need no oxygen to live. The proliferation of this bacterium is believed to be predominantly the result of two toxins. Studies have shown that colostrum is effective in neutralizing these two Clostridium difficile toxins. Colostrum is effective against salmonella. Rota hyper-immune colostrum has demonstrated to effectively prevent the outbreak of diarrhea; however, it did not prevent immunological responses to natural rotavirus infection. Humans and animals exposed to Respiratory Syncytial Virus developed protective antibodies against this virus in the IgG and IgA classes. These protective antibodies were found in large quantities in colostrum, particularly those of the IgG class.
Since the 1970s we have known that bovine colostrum is able to destroy Herpes simplex virus-infected cells. Several studies have revealed that colostrum leukocytes proved to be effective in controlling the yeast infection Candida albicans. Researchers in Denmark reported that colostrum tablets proved to be an effective treatment for oral Candida among HIV-infected individuals, given ten times-per-day for ten days.
Colostrum powder in capsule form promotes the growth of bifida bacteria and other healthy flora in the intestinal tract. These beneficial bacteria help maintain a homeostatic environment and help stimulate the musculature of the colon. A healthy intestinal microbial flora population also promotes an improved and comfortable digestive tract and helps avoid gas and bloating. Colostrum promotes a healthy intestinal microflora population, enhances utilization of the nutrients in the foods we eat, and provides protection against enteric pathogens. Therefore, it helps provide a stable, stronger defense against infection by pathogenic organisms, which especially seek a weakened host.
The oral cavity is loaded with receptor sites which, when activated, alert the entire body through a complex chain reaction of immune system events. Supplementing colostrum, of excellent quality from the first milking, in the mucosal membranes of the mouth triggers the chain reaction to occur throughout the body. This excellent quality colostrum can trigger a response that will reach all aspects of the immune system while colostrum which contains milking past the first milking may be less effective.
The first milking after the cow gives birth contains 2 to 2½ gallons, which is 100% colostrum (of which approximately ½ gallon goes to the newborn calf). The second milking contains only about 20% colostrum. The rest is considered transitional milk. If this, or any other milking, is mixed into the first milking, the delicate balance of colostrum components is destroyed.
Researchers only use first-milk colostrum of excellent quality in their trials so that if we expect to get the same beneficial results, we also need to use only first-milk colostrum. Only a small amount of excellent quality colostrum is needed to activate an immune response.
Colostrum also contains immune-regulatory factors that enhance immune reaction when it is too low and suppress it when it is too high. Colostrum therefore could be a significant tool in assisting the body in regulating the immune system. This is important for conditions in which the immune system is extremely depressed, as in severe bacterial, viral and yeast infections and in cases where the immune response is generally excessive involving inflammation and destruction (autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, MS, and allergies).
Lactoferrin is the premier immune-regulator. Lactoferrin has powerful regulating effects on the production of inflammatory cytokines. An overproduction of cytokines is commonly seen in many auto-immune conditions such as allergies, asthma, arthritis, lupus and inflammatory bowel disease. Recent research suggests that lactoferrin may be very helpful to regulate this overproduction. Lactoferrin is an iron-binding protein. Individuals with an adequate intake of iron may not be able to use the iron effectively because they may not have high enough levels of iron-binding protein to facilitate iron transport. Iron deficient individuals experience weakness, headaches, tingling sensations in the hands and feet, brittle nails and lowered resistance to stress and disease.
Colostrum contains a special Proline-Rich-Polypeptide (PRP) that serves as a powerful regulator of the immune system. PRP in colostrum increases the permeability of the skin vessels, which offers a regulatory activity, stimulating or suppressing the immune response. The ability to stimulate or suppress the immune response is highly significant. Suppressing the immune system is necessary to prevent the immune system from attacking the body itself, as in the case of autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, MS, Alzheimer’s disease, and allergies. Colostrum’s suppressive action may help prevent this type of activity involved in autoimmune diseases.
This component of colostrum supplementation may turn out to be even more important than we now realize. We are only in the beginning stages of realizing the total potential of PRP and other colostrum accessory factors for the management of autoimmune/inflammatory conditions.
Transforming Growth Factors
Transforming Growth Factors (TGF) are polypeptides which promote cell proliferation, tissue repair and maintenance (wound healing) and embryonic development. Bovine colostrum contains up to 100 times the mitogenic potency of human colostrum. Studies have demonstrated the anti-cancer ability of TGF I bovine colostrum in humans. This aspect of colostrum also makes it especially appealing for topical use. Conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, acne, possibly psoriasis and many other skin conditions could benefit.
Nucleotides are important in cellular metabolism. The most important nucleotide in colostrum is AMP (adenosine monophosphate). Amp is a precursor for ADP (adenosine diphosphate) which is involved in cellular energy transfer. AMP plays a regular role in cellular metabolism and also mediates the traffic of hormones and other activators. Additional nucleotides in colostrum help metabolize carbohydrates.
Enhanced Nutrient Absorption
The elderly are at higher risk for illness and disease for a number of reasons. One is the obstacle of diminished nutrient absorption and nutrient deficiencies, which further weakens immunity. Enzymes, found in colostrum help the entire digestive process to aid in nutrient absorption and utilization.
Colostrum-lactoferrin supplementation is not just for individuals with severely compromised immunity or infants who cannot receive adequate amounts from their mother, almost everyone can benefit. Any individual wanting to feel his or her best by strengthening their immune system to ward off disease and illness can utilize a daily maintenance dosage of colostrum. As we get older, our immune system begins to show signs of weakening, so this becomes even more important. At the first sign of illness, one can increase the dosage to halt or weaken the infection.
Lactose-intolerant individuals can usually tolerate up to about 77 mg. of lactose before a response is likely to occur. Poor quality colostrum contains higher levels of lactose compared to high quality colostrum. The sooner the collection after birth, the lower is the level of lactose. The level of lactose in colostrum doubles in just 24 hours. Unfortunately, only a few companies report the levels of lactose contained in their product. The following information will allow you to determine acceptable lactose levels for lactose-intolerant individuals.
The amount of colostrum that can safely be ingested, without triggering a lactose intolerance response, that is based upon the quality of colostrum:
Excellent Moderate Poor
700mg 500 mg. 350 mg.
This is not the recommended dosage of colostrum. The above amounts are merely the maximum amounts that can safely be taken by lactose-intolerant individuals at one time. Extremely good results for a variety of ailments can be achieved with as little as 125 mg. of excellent quality colostrum delivered in the oral cavity.
The Greater Good: Balanced Documentary on Vaccines
My Personal Thoughts And Concerns Regarding Vaccines
In my workplace I frequently meet people whose children have been injured by vaccines. For some it has dramatically altered their lives. My own child suffered from vaccine related side effects. She had crazy high levels of thimerosal (mercury) and aluminum (preservatives used in vaccines) in her brain and chronic asthma, food and chemical allergies, dyspraxia, ear infections, eczema, leaky gut, neurological issues, speech problems, and sensory disorders. The amount of antibiotics and steroids she was on because her immune system was compromised, also contributed to her health problems. She also has egg allergies. Some vaccines, including the flu vaccine, are cultured in eggs. These vaccines were toxic for her. I wish I had known.
Under the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986, over $2 billion has been awarded, by the government, to children and adults for vaccine injuries. It is estimated that less than 5% of vaccine injuries are reported. Parents should be aware that vaccines are pharmaceutical products that carry risks, which can be greater for some than others.
Most people are unaware that Congress and the U.S. Supreme Court have completely shielded drug companies and doctors in America from product liability and malpractice lawsuits when vaccines injure or kill people. It is also important to remember that vaccines are profit makers for drug companies. According to market research firm Kalorama Information, vaccine sales should double, from $19 billion last year to $39 billion in 2013. That’s nearly five times the $8 billion in vaccine sales in 2004.
The United States recommends more vaccines than any country in world. The CDC recommends 48 doses of 14 vaccines by age six, and 69 doses of 16 vaccines by age 18. In contrast, vaccines are not required by law in Israel. Only 6 childhood vaccines are recommended. Israelis enjoy the fourth-longest life expectancy in the world as of 2012. The US ranks 34 out of 35 industrialized nations in life expectancy.
In the 70s children received 10 vaccines before attending school. Today they will receive over 36 injections. More than twice as many children have chronic brain and immune system dysfunction today than they did in the 1970s.
Many health professionals are concerned that widespread use of vaccinations may trigger bacterial adaptations leading to antibiotic-resistant bacterial diseases and vaccine-resistant viral diseases. For example, vaccines have now been implicated in causing new, vaccine-resistant strains of whooping cough, hepatitis and polio. We are also learning that pharmaceutical companies are using aborted human fetus cells/DNA in vaccines. No one knows what effect injecting human DNA into other humans will have. Our children are guinea pigs for this experiment.
Numerous times in the past 50 years the pharmaceutic industry has been accused of falsifying drug study results, paying bribes, covering up or omitting side effects and deaths, and denying responsibility when drugs are pulled off the market for killing people. For an eye-opening introduction to the criminal side of the vaccine industry please review this recent article.
I’ve put this post together to give parents information on vaccines. For the record, I am not anti-vaccine but I am very concerned about vaccine safety and the insane vaccine schedule that is being mandated by our government and the pharmaceutical industry for all children, when no long term safety tests have ever been done using the current vaccine schedule. Yes, I believe that some vaccines, when properly administered to healthy children do save lives. Choose wisely.
Some Thoughts on Herd Immunity (Source – Dr. Russell Blaylock, Board Certified Neurologist and Brain Surgeon)
In the original description of herd immunity, the protection to the population at large occurred only if people contracted the infections naturally. The reason for this is that naturally-acquired immunity lasts for a lifetime. The vaccine proponents applied it to vaccine-induced immunity. But, there was one major problem – vaccine-induced immunity lasts for a relatively short period, from 2 to 10 years at most, and then this applies only to humoral immunity. This is why they now suggest boosters for most vaccines, even the common childhood infections such as chickenpox, measles, mumps, and rubella.
However, the boosters are lasting for only 2 years or less. This is why there are mandates that youth entering colleges have multiple vaccines, even those which they insisted gave lifelong immunity, such as the MMR. The same is being suggested for full-grown adults.
Years ago medical students were taught that all of the childhood vaccines lasted a lifetime. This thinking existed for over 70 years. It was not until relatively recently that it was discovered that most of these vaccines lost their effectiveness 2 to 10 years after being given. What this means is that at least half the population, that is the baby boomers, have had no vaccine-induced immunity against any of these diseases for which they had been vaccinated very early in life. In essence, at least 50% or more of the population has been unprotected for decades.
If we listen to present-day wisdom, we are all at risk of resurgent massive epidemics should the vaccination rate fall below 95%. Yet, we have all lived for at least 30 to 40 years with 50% or less of the population having vaccine protection. That is, herd immunity has not existed in this country for many decades and no resurgent epidemics have occurred.
40 years ago medical students were taught that the tetanus vaccine would last a lifetime. Then 30 years after it had been mandated, we discovered that its protection lasted no more than 10 years. Yet most physicians have never seen a case of tetanus. If we look at the yearly data on tetanus infections – one sees no rise in tetanus cases. The same can be said for measles, mumps, and other childhood infections.
What I Would Have Done Had I known What I Know Now
If I could go back and redo our vaccination schedule I would definitely change what I did with my kids. I would only consider allowing them to receive a few of the vaccines recommended in the 70s.
I would give them only one vaccine at a time and only if they were healthy and had been free of infection and off of antibiotics and steroids for 3 or more months. I would only give single injections, not combination injections and I would wait until they were at least a year old before starting to vaccinate. I would put them on a good probiotic before, during and following injections.
I would also take time to study the diseases they were being vaccinated against and only incorporate those vaccines that protect against deadly diseases that my children are likely to be exposed to or expose others to. In my opinion, acquiring a mild infection that is treatable and builds natural immunity (which, unlike the vaccine, is life-long) is not worth getting a vaccine to avoid (chicken pox and measles are good examples). I would definitely not give my kids the flu shot. After vaccinations I would help their body detoxify from the chemicals and heavy metals in the vaccines.
I would also never allow my child to be injected with thimerosal (mercury), aluminum (neurotoxin) and aborted human DNA. Most people don’t realize that thimerosal is 50 times more toxic than plain old mercury because injected mercury is far more toxic than ingested mercury, there’s no blood-brain barrier in infants, mercury accumulates in brain cells and nerves, and infants don’t produce bile, which is necessary to excrete mercury.
Here’s an example of a vaccine I’ve researched and why I personally would not choose to give it to my child: The Hepatitis A Vaccine
- Hepatitis Does Not Cause Chronic Infection and Rarely Causes Death: Hepatitis A has a mortality rate of less than one percent (0.6) and over 70 percent of deaths occur in adults over the age of 49. Almost everyone who gets hepatitis A recovers from it without any treatment. Plus, it is so rarely fatal that the CDC does not show a record of deaths from it some years.
- Hepatitis A Gives Lifelong Immunity But the Vaccine Does Not: Children often show no symptoms if they get hepatitis A and then develop lifelong immunity to the infection, but nobody knows how long vaccine-induced immunity will last. (All vaccines give only temporary immunity).
- Child-to-Child Transmission in School is Rare: According to the CDC, “Child-to-child disease transmission [of hepatitis A] within the school setting is uncommon.”
- Hepatitis A Vaccine Can Cause Reactions: The vaccine can cause unpleasant or even health- or life-threatening conditions, such as Guillian-Barre Syndrome
I wouldn’t give my child the Hepatitis B shot either. Hepatitis B is primarily an adult disease most often transmitted through infected blood. Highest risk populations are IV drug users and people with multiple sex partners. The Hepatitis B shot is one of the most toxic vaccines available and it’s usually given to newborn infants. I wish I had declined it!
I have found that the most reliable source for information on vaccines is the National Vaccine Information Center.
- National Vaccine Information Center – The National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) is a national charitable, non-profit educational organization founded in 1982. NVIC launched the vaccine safety and informed consent movement in America in the early 1980′s and is the oldest and largest consumer led organization advocating for the institution of vaccine safety and informed consent protections in the public health system.
- National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program – The federal Vaccine Injury Compensation Program was created as “a no-fault alternative to the traditional tort system for resolving vaccine injury claims that provides compensation to people found to be injured by certain vaccines.” (Why is the federal government paying out billions to people “found to be injured by certain vaccines” if the theory that “shots cause brain defects in children … has been soundly disproved by extensive medical research,” as many mainstream pro-vaccine activist contend?).
- List of Vaccine Ingredients
Interview with Dr. Palevsky, Board Certified Pediatrician, on Vaccines:
- Monkeys Get Autism-like Reactions to MMR & Other Vaccines In University of Pittsburgh Vaccine study
- An Italian court has ruled there is a link between the MMR vaccine and autism
- Measles Vaccines Part I; Ineffectiveness of Vaccination and Unintended Consequences. ~ by Dr Viera Scheibner (PhD)
- If You Vaccinate, Ask 8! – What You Need to Know Before & After Vaccination
- The Danger of Excessive Vaccination During Brain Development
- Strokes Happening in Younger People: Vaccine-Induced?
- Suppressed Study Shows Vaccine Dangers: Vaccinations Stimulate Autoimmune Diseases
- What every parent should know before choosing to vaccinate
- Vaccine Exemptions: Do They Really Put Others at Risk?
- Minimum of 40 Children Paralyzed After New Meningitis Vaccine
- Mercury Linked to Alzheimer’s Disease (annual flu shots contribute to Alzheimer’s Disease)
- Protecting Their Own: The Unofficial Vaccination Policy of Doctors in the Know
- The comparison of vaccinated verses unvaccinated
- Tuberculosis vaccine sickens 115 Romanian children; 50 hospitalized
- US Court Awards Multi-Million Dollar Payouts To Two More US Children With Vaccine Caused Autism
- Vaccines Did Not Save Us – 2 Centuries Of Official Statistics
- Secret EU Government Report – Wide Range of Child Vaccine Deaths & Injuries – From Just One Six-In-One Vaccine
- CBS News – Research Links Kids Vaccines & Brain Damage
- New Evidence Demolishes Claims of Safety and Effectiveness of HPV Vaccine, October 16 2012
- Vaccinated Students Contract Whooping Cough
- Ten reasons you should think twice before getting a flu vaccine
- Study: Whooping cough outbreak linked to vaccinated children – In 2009, four separate Canadian studies concluded that the seasonal flu shot massively increases the likelihood of contracting the H1N1 flu. According to Science Daily, recipients of the seasonal flu vaccine were up to 250% more likely to be infected by the H1N1 variant than those who did not receive the injection.
- Aborted Human Cells in some Vaccines
- Mercury In Vaccines Was Replaced With Something Even MORE Toxic
- Flashback: The Hepatitis B Vaccine is Linked to Infant Death, Multiple Sclerosis and Autoimmune Disorders
- Unvaccinated Children Less Likely to have Asthma or Allergies
- New Study: Neurotoxicity of Aluminum in Vaccines
- Studies show that the countries with the most vaccines have the worst infant death rate – May 13, 2012
- Vaccines Cause Allergies – Dr. Dave Mihalovic, June 9, 2012
- Australia bans flu vaccines in children after vomiting, fevers, seizures
- Gardasil Primer: Doctors & vaccine injured families speak out!
- Major New Issues with Vaccines Are Surfacing, 26 Apr 2012
- BANNED – 60 Minutes SWINE FLU VACCINE – H1N1 Warning!
- Mutating vaccine causes polio outbreak in Nigeria
- Untested vaccines causing new wave of polio-like paralysis across India
- Reuters – Aseptic Meningitis Outbreak Linked to Widespread MMR Vaccination
- Vaccine failure admitted: Whooping cough outbreaks higher among children already vaccinated
- HPV Vaccine Blamed for Teen’s Paralysis
- Pneumonia Vaccine Shown to Actually Increase Bacterial Infections It Is Supposed to Prevent – Alarmingly, however, buried on page 16 of their report is the acknowledgement that certain hard-to-treat bacterial infections in children are on the rise because of the widespread use of the conjugated pneumococcal vaccines!
- Smallpox Vaccine: Origins of Vaccine Madness
- What is in the flu shot – Mercury is just one of the many dangerous substances found in the flu shot, which is virtually a witch’s brew of toxic ingredients, including: aluminum, a neurotoxin associated with Alzheimer’s disease; Triton X-100, a common detergent used in laboratories; phenol (carbolic acid); ethylene glycol or antifreeze; betapropiolactone, a disinfectant; nonoxynol, used to kill or stop growth of STDs; and octoxinol 9, a vaginal spermicide.
- Swine Flu Vaccine “conclusively” Causes Chronic Nervous System Disorders – The nation of Finland has now openly admitted that the swine flu vaccine “conclusively” causes narcolepsy. The Finnish government says it will pay for “lifetime medical care” for 79 children who have been irreparably damaged by the swine flu vaccine
- Analysis Finds Flu Vaccine Efficacy Lacking, as Flu Vaccines are Suspended Across Europe and Canada
- Vaccinated children have up to 500% more disease than unvaccinated children
- Profits, Not Science, Motivate Vaccine Mandates
- Are Vaccinations Safe for Your Kids?
- Vaccine Propaganda Heats Up—The Latest Scandals You Need to Be Aware of
- Time for a Wake Up Call – The Vaccination Hoax Debunked!
- Drug Giant Merck – “Destroy” Critical Doctors “Where They Live” – “This is not a conspiracy, this is corporate policy.” [CBS News – Research Links Kids Vaccines & Brain Damage – October 9, 2009 childhealthsafety].
- Proof Armed Forces are Given Untested and Experimental Vaccines
- The Deadly Impossibility Of Herd Immunity Through Vaccination, by Dr. Russell Blaylock
- Gardasil’s trail of deception hides the true scope of deaths and injuries
- CDC alleged to have ignored up to 3,587 Miscarriages from H1N1 Vaccine
- Interview with Prominant Physician and Researcher, Dr. Andrew Wakefield on Vaccines and Autism
- Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Palevsky on vaccines
- Stories of vaccine-injured children
- Dr. Tenpenny Vaccine Information
- The Refusers
- Cry For Vaccine Freedom Wall – True stories of vaccine harassment and vaccine damage.
- Dr. Tenpenny on Vaccines– VACCINE INFORMATION YOU WON’T HEAR FROM YOUR PEDIATRICIAN
- Vaccine Injury Compensation Information
- Vaccine-Related Court Cases
- Thinking Moms Revolution
Vaccines – The Risks, The Benefits, The Choices
No Pharma Liability? No Vaccine Mandates, March 3, 2011
Vaccine Epidemic the Book
Interview on Vaccine Adaptations with Dr. Meryl Nass (Board Certified Internal Medicine)
Does HepB Vaccine Cause Defects?
- Alex Jones Show interviews Dr. Russell Blaylock, A Board Certified Neurologist and Brain Surgeon, on vaccines — Feb 2012
Shocking True Vaccine Story
Controversy Over Vaccine Research
Shocking Testimony About Vaccines!
The shocking truth about what’s really in vaccines: Mercury, MSG, Formaldehyde, Aluminum